Saturday, August 21, 2010

Which DBMS I should choose to work with ASP?

I want to design a website with asp and i was wondering to choose sqlserver2000, 2005 or mysql. And if I choose mysql to work with phpmyadmin, how do I start phpmyadmin. I mean making it work?Which DBMS I should choose to work with ASP?
If possible, choose SQL Server 2005. Take SQL Server 2000 as next option and MySQL as the last option.





The reason is that there is quite good integration between ASP.NET and SQL Server 2005 especially in caching. You can get data caching to work with SQL Server 2000 too but it is a bit cumbersome.





MySQL is a completely foreign database to ASP.NET and it is best advised to avoid it if you can. Actually, I love MySQL and I use it for most of my work but it doesn't go well with ASP.NET. If you were talking PHP, I would have told you to use MySQL.





Also, if you want to use PHPMyAdmin, you need a webserver with PHP support. Since you are running IIS, you will have to install PHP on that and then extract PHPMyAdmin files in your webserver root or create a virtual directory for PHPMyAdmin. Then you can access PHPMyAdmin by going to http://localhost/virtual_path_to_phpmyad鈥?br>




Make sure you have PHP installed for this. Also, you should configure PHPMyAdmin with the correct database login.








I strongly recommend against using PHPMyAdmin to manage in this case. Again, don't get me wrong, I use PHPMyAdmin to manage my databases but that's because I primarily develop with PHP. You will unnecessarily have to install PHP to get PHPMyAdmin to work. You can use a windows based GUI to manage MySQL databases too. I have used SQLyog for this and I think it is satisfactory. SQLyog is available at: http://webyog.com/en/Which DBMS I should choose to work with ASP?
If you will be hosting the website with a hosted service, then you want to use SQL Server. If you will just be doing it on your local machine, then I'd use MySQL (Free since it's open source.)





to use phpMyAdmin, simply follow directions that came with the install.

No comments:

Post a Comment